Join a Google Meet?
From Your Computer
Main Google Meet Options
- Click here to view the joining info for the Google Meet.
- Control your audio and video with these buttons. The microphone and camera icons will toggle your audio and video on and off. It is good practice to stay muted in a video call when not speaking. The middle button ends the Google Meet.
- This turns live captioning on and off. This is visible only to you. This is Google's best attempt at live captioning and is not 100% accurate.
- Click this button to show your screen to the other people in the Google Meet (instructions). You can choose between one window on your computer (like a single document or webpage) or your entire screen. You may need to grant Google Chrome access the first time you use this option.
- The people icon shows you a list of the participants currently in the Google Meet. You can add people from here. You can also mute them. The chat bubble opens a group chat with all the participants. This can be helpful for asking questions.
More Google Meet Settings
Additional Google Meet settings can be accessed by clicking the three dots in the bottom right corner of the screen.
Record Meeting: Currently any Google Meet can be recorded by clicking this button. The recording is saved in the Google Drive of the person who started the Google Meet. It can be shared with others from Google Drive. It is good practice to inform participants that the meeting is being recorded.
- This is a pro feature and will be turned off when the situation is over.
- Change Layout: This changes the layout and number of videos that appear at the same time.
- Turn On Captions: This has the same function as the other captions button.
- Settings: This brings up the options for changing the microphone, speakers, and video camera being used in the Meet. Clicking the dropdown menu next to the device types and choosing a different device can sometimes fix audio and video issues.
- Use a Phone for Audio: For slower internet connections, connecting to the audio via phone can sometimes yield better results.
- Report a Problem: This sends a message straight to Google.
- Help: This will bring up the Google Meet help center in a new tab.
From Your Mobile Device
- Download the Google Hangouts Meet app to your mobile device.
- Tap on the link to the Google Meet from your email, calendar, or wherever the Google Meet was shared with you.
- The Google Meet app will open.
- Make sure you're signed in using your MLC account.
- You can check this by looking at the bottom of the screen. If you don't see your MLC email address, tap Switch.
- Tap Join meeting.
- You will enter the Google Meet. See the Google Meet help site for more information about using the app with your specific device.