Initial Communication with Students
For online courses, please contact your students about two weeks prior to the start of the semester, following the guidelines below.
Initial Email Communication
- Access your course roster in Portal.
- Click the blue Email all (Personal) link. Your email program should open with the student-preferred email addresses populated in the BCC box.
- In your initial email, please:
- Welcome your students to the course
- Mention the date when the course will begin.
- Attach a copy of the course syllabus.
- Mention the required textbook information, and any other information you think they would like to know.
- Inform them when you will make your course visible in Moodle so they can look around at the preliminary course information.
- Ask them to reply to your email message so that you know they received it.
- If you have some students that have not responded after several days, please contact them by phone to make sure they are receiving the information. Online students appreciate personal contact from the course instructor. If you still do not receive a response, please contact the Office of Continuing Education.
- When viewing the class roster, you can also click on individual students to view their address, phone number, etc.
- Emailing (messaging) students directly from within Moodle uses whatever email address is currently listed in their Moodle profile, which might not yet be their preferred email address. Students are instructed to update their email address in their Moodle profile during the online orientation for new students.